Thursday, November 19, 2015

Things are getting interesting.

As I've said  before, the company I work for imposes a year-end freeze on all system changes in mid-December. As we get closer to the freeze date, more and more people are showing up on my radar with things they need from me.

The problem is, a lot of these people have never contacted me before about their needs and when they suddenly discover that they need something from me, they are panicking. A lot of them are quite insistent that their project is the number one priority in the company and if I don't give them what they want right now, their project will fail and the company will go out of business.

The problem is I have a lot of experience in this line of work and I know what is, and isn't, important. I know what the company needs to keep functioning and I know what will put the organization into a bad place if it fails.

This knowledge allows me to look people in the eye, say "No" and have them go, "Oh. Okay." and walk away.

*

So anyways, here are some links:

No comments: