Saturday, October 11, 2014

Number 2 is done.

Twenty nine years ago we were given a great set of steak knives for a wedding present. I really liked those steak knives and I continued to like them even after someone accidentally threw one away and we were left with five knives.

Unfortunately, 29 years worth of washing caused the handles to basically rot away and we were left with great knives with crappy, ill-fitting handles.

After giving it a lot of thought and enlisting the assistance of my youngest, we came up with a method to replace the handles.

Here is the first attempt:

The handle is made out of mahogany and it's been polished with food-grade mineral oil. I'll put a few more coats of oil on it tomorrow and it will be ready for the drawer.

The second one has it's first coat of oil and is almost ready for it's second.

This is going much better than I anticipated.

*

Here are some links:

No comments: