Sunday, December 10, 2017

New network.

I have a new router and that means I have a new network. So far I have managed to get everything hooked up to it and it seems to be working just fine.

My old network consisted of two Netgear WNR2000 wireless routers with one serving as the internet router and serving wireless to the main part of the house and the other acting simply as a wireless access point for the family room and porch.

About a month ago, I noticed that my laptop was having trouble staying connected while in the family room so I started watching the network connection. It worked fine for a bit and then suddenly the access point would disappear and then pop back on. This caused my laptop to break it's connection and fail over to the other wireless network served by the router.

My new router is a pretty heavy-duty gadget and it appears to be serving my entire house without any problems. This means I can eliminate the access point and have only one network instead of the two I ha previously.

The new router also has two USB ports. I can plug two hard drives into those ports and share them out over the network. This means my wife and I can use these drives as backup devices and not worry so much about losing data.

After what my wife went through last month when her hard drive died, having a facility where her laptop can do scheduled backups would be a very good thing.


While I read up on this Apple Time Machine thing, you can visit these links:

No comments: