Monday, April 28, 2014

Communication is key.

At least, that's what everyone keeps wanting to talk to me about.

"How will you communicate with your constituents?"
"How can the town better communicate with business leaders?"
"Can more be done to get the minutes and agendas of committee meetings communicated out to the public?"

Communication is a two-way street. If only one side of a conversation is "communicating", it's called a lecture and no one wants to be lectured.

Also, there is a fine line between communication and the generation of white noise. Too much communication overwhelms your listener and they stop paying attention.

I'm a firm believer that simply stating the facts and letting the adults reach their own conclusions is the best way to communicate. I hate using buzz-words and I'm not really capable of putting a "spin" on a message. For the most part, my method of communicating is to state what I feel, think and believe without a lot of extraneous crap.

Oh, and if I ever use the word transparency without also using a sarcastic tone, feel free to tell me to shut up and sit down.

*

You might find these entertaining:

No comments: