Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Time to rethink this.

How many more times are we going to see the sentence: "He was off his medication at the time..." before we decide that perhaps medicating lunatics and then tossing them out into society isn't the best approach.

What if Mr. OffHisMeds was carrying around, oh, I don't know, maybe a pressure cooker filled with gun powder?

What if Mr. OffHisMeds decides to go all Adam Lanza on some group of kids?

What if Mr. OffHisMeds starts hearing voices that tell him to drive his car into a bus stop filled with people who want nothing more than to get home after a hard day at work?

I get the concept of a mental illness being an illness and I want people to receive treatment for all illnesses but what I fail to understand is why mental illness, which is the only illness that causes someone to hurt other people, is treated like it is nothing more than a common cold?

"Take twice a day after meals..."

*

If you ever want to feel good about yourself, run for office.

I've had more people come up to me and say, "You would make a pretty good selectman. You're pretty bright, you have common sense and you don't mince words or spew any bullsh!t."

I'm sure there are probably a whole bunch of people out there that are saying just the opposite behind my back but that really doesn't matter to me because they apperantly don't have the balls to say it to my face.

*

Here are a few links:

No comments: