Saturday, December 6, 2014

Mr. Handy Guy.

The previous owner of our house considered himself a handy guy and trust me when I say, he was not handy at all. As a matter of fact, after 24 years, I'm still fixing things that he "fixed".

Today it was the louver doors that enclose the washer and dryer.

It appears that at some point, the style split from the top rail and Mr. Handy Guy decided to run glue into all the louvers. Then, rather than use clamps, I think he just kind of pushed things together and let it dry.

As a result, one of the doors was pretty screwed up. I ignored for 23 years but last year I decided to try and free up the louvers, remove the style and then re-glue everything correctly.

Turns out that after 23 years, the style was warped and as a result, the door was seriously out of whack. It was so out of whack that the style split open where the pivot that ties the door to the hardware is inserted.

Given that new doors cost about $200, we decided to simply replace them rather than try to repair the old ones. I went and bought some new doors and, after trimming 3/4 of an inch off the bottom, we now have new doors enclosing our washer and dryer.


Now all I have to do is find a stain that matches our existing woodwork.

Just call me Mr. The Real Handy Guy

*

Here are today's links:

No comments: