Sunday, March 24, 2013

Twenty five years is not really a long time.

Twenty seven years ago, I started working for my current employer.

In 1996, they sold the division I worked for so I was no longer employed by them. The deal they made with the purchasing corporation was that none of the us could return for a period of two years.

So for one year and four months, I was employed by a real nasty corporation out of California. They were more concerned about their stockholders than they were about their customers.

If your business is making beach umbrellas, it's not a bad thing to be concerned about your stockholders but this particular company was a health insurance company. That really pissed me off because it seemed to me that when you're in the business of taking care of peoples health needs, they should be the first thing on your mind, not some day trader from ScrewU, California.

I stuck with them because they kept promising us that things would get better. Well, they didn't get better and I went to work for a small West Springfield outfit.

In 1998, the two year moratorium came to an end and I got a call from a VP friend of mine asking me if I wanted a job back with the mother ship.

Hell yea I wanted a job.

I got back all my seniority, all my vacation time and they paid me more. Plus, they told me I didn't have to travel anymore. That was a huge thing for me because I had three young children and for several years, I spent so much time on the road that I was missing them grow up.

Anyways, to make this long story short, yesterday I received a letter from the CEO of my company congratulating me on reaching twenty five years of service.

I'm old and I'm tired but hey, I've got a job at a I like working for. Hopefully it stays that way for another five years. That's when I make that awesome decision to retire or keep working.

*

You might like these:


No comments: