Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Here's a shock: I've got something to say.

This news story kinda pisses me off.

I am not a liberal and I am not a conservative. I do not harbor deep-rooted beliefs about any particular subject. Instead, I try to apply common sense to my opinions and go from there.

Having said that, let me explain what pisses me off about that story.

I work at a company with 10,000 employees scattered around the world.

I work at the home office with 5,000 of those people and believe it or not, I see a large number of them every day. From a diversity perspective (I would like to say right now that I hate that word), the company has a pretty good representation of humanity.

Having said that, I can say with a certain amount of knowledge about people that we are all pretty much the same when it comes to life in general. To say that "All black people are on welfare" is a lie.

Of the hundreds and hundreds of people that I work with, I can say that we are all pretty much after the same thing - Give our families and ourselves the best life possible by working hard and earning a decent wage.

Yes, there are a lot of people, of all races, that are living off the public tit and it is those people that should be constantly evaluated.

If you look closely, you will see that most of those folks not only need the help, they deserve the help.

Where the problem comes in is the fact that the media has a strong desire to sensationalize every thing and they leap all over the story about the healthy 25 year old drug dealer with the 4 EBT cards but they never mention the millions of children who are eating two or three meals a day instead of begging for food on the streets of every major city.

It has been my experience that anyone willing to say that "All (insert race or religion of people you hate here) are (insert particular thing you think they are doing here)" is really nothing more than someone with limited common sense who fails to actually see the world around them.

Trust me when I say that my friend Willie is working just as hard as I am and his goal in life is the same as mine -  to make his wife Pat and his children as comfortable as possible.

It kind of pisses me off that someone would say he is not doing that when I've seen him do it every day for the last 25 or 30 years.

*

Anthony Castrovince is a writer over at MLB.COM and he sometimes makes statements that are well thought out.

In this article he addresses some of the interesting things about the upcoming spring training camps.

He talks about potential trades, last seasons statistics and recent surgeries to fix injuries but he also talks about Alex Rodriguez.

He makes one point regarding where Rodriguez will fit on the Yankee roster and what the Yankees may (or may not) do. He says, "No matter the outcome, the contract is an albatross, and that's the Yankees' doing. But the circus that will accompany A-Rod's every step is admittedly a media creation."

Having said that, I have to admit that I kinda threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read this.

*

You can click on these:

No comments: