Sunday, March 18, 2018

I'm still tired.

I fell asleep around 9:30 or 10:00 last night and slept until 6:30 this morning which should be more than enough sleep.

Problem is I only got about 5 hours of sleep the night before.

Either that or I'm old and I just need more naps that I used to.


The Red Sox won their sixth game in a row by beating the Pirates this afternoon.

It was a fun game to watch.


My wife has been working her butt off trying to clean out her moms house before May. The goal is to get the house cleaned out before she has a realtor list it.

Problem is my mother-in-law collected a lot of stuff over the years and figuring out what to do about that stuff is not easy.

There are three types "collectors" in this world.
  1. There are people who collect things because they think those things are useful.
  2. There are people who collect things because they like the thing they collect and are happy having it.
  3. There are people who collect things because they think those things might one day have value.
I fall into the first group. I save 'stuff' because I say to myself, "Hmm. That's in pretty good shape. I'll hold on to it in case I ever need one." This explains the four or five electric motors I have sitting on my workbench from old vacuum cleaners, fans or pumps. Or the hundreds of old memory sticks and hard drives I have sitting in drawers in the basement. Hell, I still have two or three 3.5 inch floppy drives sitting in a cabinet.

My wife falls into the second group. She collects things simply because she likes the thing. Her things fall into what I call the knick-knack category. She doesn't expect those things to ever be useful or valuable, she just plain old likes them and enjoys looking at them.

The problem with the third type of collector is that what is valuable today turns out to be fairly worthless later on. For instance, all the people that collected Beanie Babies or Cabbage Patch Kids are now stuck with hundreds of worthless, unwanted stuffed toys.

My mother-in-law was one of those people who liked to go "antiquing". She collected old thing-a-ma-bobs and widgets because she saw value in the objects. Problem is what she collected back in the 1960s and 70s is now considered fairly worthless.

This puts my wife in the position of figuring out what to do with all of this stuff that her mom thinks is valuable.

It's not easy but my wife managed to corral some "pickers" this weekend and we met up with them today. As a result, my mother-in-law may not be rich but at least no one has to pay to dispose of a lot of stuff.


So anyways, we spent far more time this weekend moving stuff around and hauling it out of the house. My back hurts, my hands hurt and I'm tired.

While I complain about my maladies, you can visit these links:

No comments: