Thursday, March 29, 2018

Opening Day should be a federal holiday.

The first pitch of the MLB season was thrown by a guy named Jose Urena of the Miami Marlins.

I think the pitch was a belt-high fastball.

While I'm not entirely certain what kind of pitch was thrown, I am positive the pitch was promptly hit out of Marlins Park by Ian Happ of the Chicago Cubs.

The Cubs got off to a good start.

Not so much the Marlins.

As for the Red Sox, they played well but not well enough

Sale pitched a hell of a game. He went 6 innings, giving up 1 hit, 3 walks and getting 9 strike outs. That is some pretty damned good pitching for opening day. When he left, the score was 4-0 Red Sox.

Then Barnes came in to pitch the seventh. I always get a little edgy when Barnes pitches. I'm never comfortable with him because he seems to throw a lot of belt-high fastballs and hitters can send those things a mile.

Fortunately Barnes was spot on today and he threw a good inning, giving up no runs and leaving with the score still 4-0 Red Sox

After that, it was time for Kelly and his 100+mph fastball. NESN wasn't displaying the speed gun readout today so I have no idea how fast his pitches were but I do know that they are damned fast.

And that my friends is when the wheels came off.

Kelly gave up 4 hits and 2 runs with 1 out. When Cora took him out, the bases where loaded and the score was 4-2 Red Sox.

Smith came in and managed to get the second out before giving up a 3 run triple, making the score 4-5 Rays.

Smith gave up 1 more run before finally getting the third out, making the score 4-6 Rays with one inning left.

That inning wasn't enough for the Red Sox and the game ended 4-6 Rays.

The Red Sox did not get off to a good start.


So now I'm going to go make some dinner and watch bad television. Maybe some DVRs or something.

While I do that, you can click on these:

No comments: