Thursday, November 21, 2013

Everyone is calculating their date.

As I age, along with everyone else I know, I'm noticing a trend - A lot of my friends are spending a lot of their time calculating the earliest possible date that they can retire.

I personally have a rolling retirement date.

For the last five years, I've been saying, "Give me five more years" and I'm still saying that because I'm not ready to retire. I like what I do and I'm good at it. Also, I have a lot of "seniority".

For the record, "seniority" at my company means nothing except for how much vacation time I get. I'm at the max for vacation time and that means I get to enjoy about six weeks off every year. That's almost like being semi-retired so why be in a hurry to retire.

I have some friends and relatives that work in jobs where I think they should retire as early as humanly possible. As a matter of fact, I think they should retire today but who am I to tell them what to do.

I am not in one of those jobs. My job has no risk or hazards associated with it. As a matter of fact, the greatest risk in my job is my getting a fat ass from sitting in a chair for too long.

Besides, I still have kids in college and a mortgage to pay. I'm pretty sure retirement isn't in my immediate future.

*

Try these links:

No comments: