Saturday, January 3, 2015

And we have furniture

Several months ago, we decided it was time to replace our living room furniture. My wife spent that last several months agonizing on what to buy, which is okay with me because I never actually go into the living room. So for the last few months, our living room has been vacant of most furnishings.

Today the new furniture arrived and we once again have plenty of sitting room in our sitting room.

There is much joy.

*

I'm going to build a server for our home network out of my mother-in-laws old computer.

I'm getting a little sick of not having appropriate backups of our stuff and I figure it's time for me to change that. The best way to do it is to establish a server with shared drive space that I can back things up to.

I'm going to try a linux distro called ClearOS that supposedly is lightweight (the operating system doesn't overwhelm the CPU) and has good disk sharing capabilities.

Before I can build the operating system, I need to find some memory.

The computer is at least 8 or 9 years old and they don't really make the type of RAM it needs. I'm sure I can find the right stuff at good old reliable NewEgg but I figured I'd start with good old reliable Pat.

Like me, he hates to throw anything away and has a bunch of old stuff lying around, some of which might meet my needs.

*

Here are a few links:

No comments: