Sunday, July 23, 2017

Nice quiet day today.

Today was just a genuinely nice day. We had a little cookout and then I watched the Red Sox lose to the Angels.

The lose is a little easier to take because the Rays lost to the Rangers and the Yankees are currently losing to the Mariners. Even if the Yankees win, the Red Sox will still have a three and a half game lead in first place.


I did a little research on the best way to kill those damned gypsy moth egg masses and found that most of the extension services recommend one of two approaches.

The first method is to scrape the egg masses into a paper bag and then either burn them or microwave them.

Since there are a lot of them on my trees, that seems like a lot of work. Besides, I'm pretty sure my wife would have a problem with me microwaving a bunch of bugs in her microwave.

The second method is to mix a 50/50 solution of soybean oil and water in a spray bottle and thoroughly soak the masses with the oil mixture.

They were very clear in saying that I should only use soybean oil because soybean oil breaks down the water proof coating on the masses and the eggs will drown in the water as well as any ensuing rain fall.

That seemed like a better approach that didn't involve any use of a microwave so I set about looking for some soybean oil.

I went to the grocery store and searched high & low for soybean oil.

I found peanut oil, canola oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, palm oil, olive oil and corn oil but no soybean oil.

After searching for several minutes, I picked up a bottle of vegetable oil and read the ingredients.

Turns out the generic term "vegetable oil" is what the soybean oil people call their product.

You learn something new everyday.


The weather was too nice to be surfing the internets so I don't have a lot for you.

What I do have is here:

No comments: