Saturday, April 20, 2019

So far, so good

It's the bottom of the fourth inning and the Red Sox are up 5-1. Porcello is pitching pretty well so maybe he's figured it out.


I had to change a headlamp on my wife's XC-70 and man, that is a pain in the ass to do. First thing to do is remove the cover on the two engine control units so you gain an extra inch of room to get to the lightbulb.

Once the module cover is out of the way, you have to remove the weather cover from the headlamp and reach in to find the bulb. Then you have to figure out which way to turn the bulb to remove it (hint: it's counter clock-wise).

Now that the old bulb is out, you unplug it from the wiring and plug the new bulb in. Now come the fun part....

There are three tabs on the base of the bulb that need to be aligned with three slots on the headlamp holder. You need to do this without being able to see it.

The first time I did it, it only took me about 10 minutes to get the bulb aligned and locked into place. I quickly discovered that only two of the tabs had engaged when I turned on the headlights and noticed that it was shining on the ground about five feet in front of the car.

I took it out and set about trying a second time.

The second time took me about 15 minutes to get the bulb lined up and engaged because I was struggling to get all three tabs in place. Seemed like every time I tried to turn the bulb to engage the tabs, it would rack sideways.

It finaly engaged nicely and when I turned the headlights on, I found that it was out of line by a few inches. A little application of tactical force moved the bulb so it lined up nicely.

Then it was time to struggle with getting the control module cover back in place before realizing I had forgotten to put the weather cover back on the headlamp assembly.

Anyways, it only took me about 45 frustrating minutes to do something that should take abut 10 minutes at best.

Pain in the ass....


Take a look at these if you want:

No comments: