Sunday, December 1, 2019

Millions in the path!

Once again, the talking heads on the television are saying that there are millions of people in the path of a major winter storm. They make it sound like this is armageddon. Like no one is making out of this alive. Like this is the end-time and we should make peace with our maker because this is all she wrote.

Remember the good old days when the national news never talked about the weather except for hurricanes? Uncle Walter or David & Chet never once told us it was going to rain or snow. They left that trivial weather stuff up to the local peons like John Quill.

And John never had animated weather maps. His map was a drawing of the U.S. that he drew on with a grease pencil, indicating wind, fronts, snow measurements, etc... And he never once talked about radar or made a snowfall prediction with a range of 2 inches. He never said, "We can expect between 4 and 6 inches." No sir, not John. He said things like, "You can expect between 2 and 14 inches, depending on where you live."

We all knew that meant we probably would have school the next day because they ran the buses even when there was 4 inches of snow on the ground. I have vivid memories of sitting in the back of the bus as it fishtailed down Dipping Hole Rd. We had a hell of a ride that morning but we all made it to school and got home safely in the afternoon.

So anyways, it's going to snow but that's okay. I've got no place I need to be and there is both hockey & football being played this evening. As long as we don't lose cable, I should be all set.

I don't anticipate having to clear the driveway until tomorrow morning and I'm not even sure I'll have to do it them. From what they are saying, we may wake up to 1 inch of snow tomorrow morning. That means I'll just have to shovel the top 15 feet of the driveway before going to work.

It sounds like when I get home tomorrow afternoon is when I'll have to use The Beast.

Who knows, maybe they'll close the college tomorrow and I'll have an extra day off!

I seriously doubt that will happen but if it does, I certainly won't complain.


The Steelers beat the Browns this afternoon, leaving them in the wild card slot in the AFC North. They are currently projected to be the 6th seed and if the season ended today, they would be playing the Patriots in the AFC Divisional Round.

The Patriots are playing tonight and they are in a world of hurt. The flu is running through them and as of yesterday, they have 10 players listed as "Illness - Questionable".

The Texans have been playing pretty good football so this will be a real challenge for the Patriots.

I will start my sports evening at 7:00 when I watch the Bruins play the Canadiens. At 8:20, I'll flip over to the Patriots and check in on the Bruins between downs.

It will be a good day if they both win tonight. The Patriots will continue to hold on to home field advantage with a win tonight and since the Capitals won yesterday, capturing sole possession of first place, the Bruins will move back into a tie for first with a win tonight.


Here are a few links:

No comments: