Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Is the traditional family such a bad thing?

As a child, I grew up in an environment with a mom who was female and a dad who was male. All in all, it was a pretty good environment to grow up in and while I'm sure that all other possible combinations are just as good, I'm beginning to sense a trend where we, as a society, have determined that the "traditional family" isn't worth preserving.

When I look around at what is happening in our world, I wonder what we, as a society, are thinking about. I wonder why anyone would say to themselves, "It's perfectly okay for a 14 year old girl to be a single mother." I wonder why anyone would think it's okay for a 15 year old boy to become something called "my baby daddy".

I accept the fact that the notion of "sex" to procreate is an arcane idea and anyone can have a baby now-a-days by simply visiting a small discrete building on the local medical campus. I accept it in much the same way I accept a stop sign on a lonely country road at 3:00 in the morning - I'm not sure it's necessary but I accept it.

I accept the fact that in some families, mom is male and dad is female. I accept the fact that in some families, mom and dad are both males or both females.

I accept the fact that some males are convinced that they are really females and that the medical community is fully prepared to convert them to a female. I accept the face that some females are convinced that they are really males and once again, medical science is fully prepared to convert them from female to male. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but I accept it.

What I am not prepared to accept is the diminishment of the traditional family.

Holding a father-daughter dance in no way discriminates against the single mom, or anyone else. It's a freakin' dance where a little girl gets to dance with her dad. Nothing more, nothing less. And cancelling it or renaming it is just another way of saying, "Hey. You traditional family people are just old-fashioned fuddy-duddy's and we don't need you around anymore."

*

Here are todays links:


No comments: