Monday, March 31, 2014

That was no "dusting"...

There was enough slush on the roads this morning to make for an interesting drive into work. I watched the guy in front of me do the side-to-side shuffle when he was pulling away from the light at Wilbraham and Parker. I also noticed that it was cold enough for ice chunks to form on my windshield wipers.

Welcome to New England....

*

So today was opening day and thankfully there was no game at rainy, cold Fenway. The Red Sox played the Orioles down in partly cloudy, 60° Baltimore at 3:00 this afternoon.

The Yankees also managed to avoid a game at the cold, rainy stadium. They opened their season down in sunny, 75° Houston at 8:00 this evening.

I love opening day. It's the start of summer for me as a 12 year old kid.

It's when I can smell the fresh cut grass and the leather of the glove. It's when I feel the smack of the ball in my glove and it's when I hear the crack of the bat.

It's me leading off first base, watching Brian Quirk hit a baseball over the center fielder's head and running as fast as I can for home. It's me in the crouch at third watching John Sullivan throw that perfect slider that catches the corner and leaves the batter with buckled knees.

I consider myself pretty damned lucky because I get to enjoy my childhood all over again just by watching a baseball game. Not too many people can do that.

*

You can visit these links if you would like:

No comments: