Sunday, August 26, 2018

Our world became a little worse

I was never going to vote for Hillary Clinton. She always struck me as a dishonest person who not only didn't care about me, she was actively against me. Every time she said something, I thought to myself, "What a load of bullshit!"

At one point early in the campaign, I actually thought I might be able to vote for Trump simply because he kept saying it was time to get rid of the lifetime politicians.

Then this happened.

And that my friends, is the reason I would never vote for Donald Trump nor will I ever have any respect for him. He had no reason to say what he said and he has never made an effort to rescind his insult.

When called, John McCain served his country with honor and distinction. He fell into the hands of this nation's enemies and suffered for five year before finally coming home. Once back here, he entered into a life of continued servitude to the people of his adopted home state (He was born in Panama. His wife Cindy is from Arizona)

John McCain started his political career as a strong Reagan conservative but as time went on he came to understand that there are some non-conservative ideals that have merit and he worked to bring people towards the middle. He took a less hard-line approach to things and attempted to soften the conservative approach some of his colleagues held.

That is why I changed from unregistered to republican and voted for him in the 2000 primaries. That is why I voted for him in 2008. It's why I would have voted for him every time he ran. It's why I thought he was one of the few politicians who gave a shit about me while at the same time knowing the contents of my wallet weren't there for the government to pilfer and hand out with total indiscretion. It's why I thought he gave a shit about those less fortunate who not only needed some help from us, they deserved some help from us.

Unfortunately for McCain in 2008, his choice of running mate was not ideal and he was up against a charming, slick-talker named Obama who seemed to be able to say exactly what people wanted to hear. Obama barely beat McCain in the popular vote but soundly defeated him with the electoral college. McCain gave a gracious concession speech went back to Arizona to continue serving his people.

And that is where he took his last breath.

Thanks for everything you did for us John. You always did the right thing, even when it was the hard thing. Rest peacefully Senator.


In other bad news, the Red Sox lost again last night. Then they went and got their ass kicked again this afternoon. That means their lead in the ALEast has dropped to six and a half games with the Yankees scheduled to play the Orioles at 8:00 tonight. Since the Orioles have the worst record in baseball, I'm assuming that when I wake up tomorrow morning I will find that the Red Sox lead has slipped to six games.

I knew they would slump eventually but the upside is the slump comes in August. Hopefully they get over it in the next week or so and get back to being unbeatable in September / October.

Despite how much fun it is to watch them win during the regular season, it's even more fun to watch them win in October.


You should make an effort to visit these links:

No comments: