Thursday, April 4, 2024

Welcome to New England

It is April 4th and this is what my back yard looked like this morning.

Trust me, the front yard didn't look any different.

The joys of springtime in New England...


A week ago, I ordered a replacement seat for my lawn tractor and it arrived yesterday.

Today I took the old seat off the tractor, removed the sensor that shuts the tractor down if I fall off the tractor, installed the sensor in the new seat and put it on the tractor.

Then I tried to start the tractor...

Turns out that the replacement seat is made of different materials than the old seat.

The old seat was vinyl-covered foam. The vinyl had cracked in several places and curled up. The foam was also cracked and beginning to break down. That's why I ordered a new seat.

The new seat is made of a solid rubber-like foam, no vinyl covering. The new seat is also much stiffer and as a result, my fat ass was unable to put enough weight on the seat to activate the sensor.

So I took the seat off, removed the sensor, stuck two 1/16 inch thick washers on the sensor pad with double-faced tape and reinstalled the seat.

I'm pleased to say that my fat ass now compresses the seat enough to activate the sensor and keep the tractor running. Of course, it'll probably stall everytime I hit a bump in the lawn but if it gets to be a pain, I'll just disable the sensor.

The way I figure it, I've been mowing this lawn for 30+ years and I have yet to fall off my tractor.


No baseball today but there will be hockey so I have something to entertain me this evening.

I like being entertained.

Here are some links:

No comments: