Saturday, October 20, 2018

Guess I have to buy another lottery ticket.

MegaMillions is up to $1.6 Billion dollars if you take the 30 year annuity. It's at $904 million dollars if you take the lump sum. The drawing is next Tuesday so there is a fairly good chance that the lump sum payout will grow to exceed $1 billion dollars.

The current maximum federal tax rate is 39.6% and the Massachusetts tax rate is 5.1%. That means the most you'll have to pay in taxes is 44.7% of the lump sum payment or the monthly annuity payment.

If you take the lump sum and it does become $1 billion dollars, you will take home $553 million dollars after the taxes are withheld.

If you take the monthly annuity and it is $1.6 billion dollars, you will get $53.3 million a year for the next 30 years. After taxes, you or your heirs will receive a check each year in the amount of $29 million dollars.

No matter which way you decide to go, that works out to a shitload of money and I know that if I hit it, everyone in my family will be happy, some schools will be happy and some hospitals will be happy.

I will be very happy.

They say money can't buy happiness. I say that is bullshit. Money can indeed buy happiness. I know some fairly wealthy people and they are all pretty damned happy.



Having said all of that, I'm going to add that we spent the evening listening to our youngest play music tonight and we didn't get home until 11:15.

That means you get no links.

Oh, and it looks like the Red Sox will be playing the Dodgers in the World Series.

No comments: