Friday, September 1, 2023

Reliving my childhood

My mom used to buy me books. My godmother always sent me books. I spent a lot of time (when I wasn't getting into trouble, playing sports or injuring myself) in the library.

I read both fiction and non-fiction. I liked mysteries, sci-fi and history but given a choice, I loved to read a well-written biography.

What I'm trying to say is I was an insatiable reader.

Once I had kids, I found myself at the library even more because I wanted my kids to be readers. My wife (who is no slouch when it comes to reading) or I took our kids to the library at least once a week, picking out books to read or finding things they needed for homework while I wandered round picking out a book or two to read.

Eventually the kids became more involved in after-school stuff (sports, music, etc..) which meant there was less of a need for them to go to the library. Plus there was this little thing called the internet that gave me access to all sorts of reading material.

Well, let's face it, the internet is a giant sewer of literary crap with only the occasional gem so I decided to start going back to the library. I rooted around my stash of "things I used to carry in my wallet" and found my old library card. When I touched it, it turned to dust so that meant I had to get a new one, which I did.

Now, armed with a new library card, I find myself at the library once or twice a week, picking up a book to read. I've rediscovered the Reacher series, the Bourne series and the Dreamland series. I haven't found anything new yet but I will persist in my search for new authors.

I also discovered that the library has things other than books. Maybe I'll get one of those metal detectors and see if I can find any treasures.


The Red Sox take on the Royals tonight at 8:00. That means I'll probably only stay awake long enough to watch four or five innings.

They better win...


Time to eat and then watch a DVR. After that it will be baseball until I nod off.

Enjoy these links:

No comments: