Sunday, September 22, 2013

Well, they lost last night but they won today.

Today's win puts the Red Sox at .605 and a full one and a half games over the Athletics for the lead in not only the American League but also in Major League Baseball.

With only 5 games left in the season, they still have a chance of 100 wins but they will have to win every one of the remaining games. I'm thinking that's not gonna happen because they are playing everybody and they are playing them in weird places. For instance, Middlebrooks, the third baseman, played first base in yesterdays game because they want him as a backup first baseman during the playoffs.

*

So here's a weird bit of information for you if you happen to be having some unexplained problems with Windows 7.

My laptop started having problems on the 19th. It would boot up but it was almost as if none of the drivers it needed were being load. I had no network connection, no wireless mouse, no bluetooth and no antivirus.

My first thought was I had acquired a virus and I set about trying to decipher the collection of "stuff" running on the computer. I spent a few hours poking into every corner of the machine checking for any new files, any new folders and looking for processes that were running in the background.

I couldn't find anything so I rebooted the machine into safe mode and ran the system recovery back to the previous recovery point. The machine came back up just fine and I thought maybe I was lucky.

The next morning, I booted the machine up and had the same problem - no internet, no bluetooth, no antivirus, etc...

I rebooted into safe mode and started system recovery. That was when I noticed that there was a new recovery point created after a "critical update" the day before. I went back to the previous recovery point and all was well.

This went on for a few days and each time, I noticed a new recovery point being created by "critical update". Since the only process I let create new recovery points on my machine is Windows Update, I came to the conclusion that it was a Microsoft update that was causing my problems.

I started digging into the updates and found that the only updates I was getting everyday were the updates to Microsoft Security Essentials.

I uninstalled Security Essentials and rebooted the machine. I left it running for an hour and then shut it down.

It came back up with no problems. Yes, it was squawking at me for not having an antivirus program but it was working just fine.

I created an artificial recovery point, downloaded and installed a fresh copy of Security Essentials and rebooted.

I am happy to say that after three days of having significant issues with my laptop, I seem to have solved the issue by uninstalling and then reinstalling Security Essentials.

At least I hope that's the solution.

Man, I hate computers....

*

Try these links if you are interested in these kinds of things:

No comments: