Tuesday, February 11, 2014

We owe someone a degree.

It was just a little cold this morning.


*

Last night was one of those nights where I got no good sleep.

I fell asleep at 9:00, woke at 11:00, fell asleep at 11:30, woke at 2:00, fell asleep at 2:30, woke at 4:30, emptied the dishwasher, made the coffee, fell asleep at 5:00 and woke up at 5:30.

I hate those kind of nights. I'm usually asleep at my desk around 2:00 in the afternoon after those kind of nights.

And that is never good for my productivity level...

*

There is a report going around the financial world about a bizarre coincidence regarding the current Dow Jones Industrial Average and the DJIA from 1928 (The Great Depression).

Here is the chart that has everyone up in arms:



As you can see, the squiggly line from 1928 to 1929 looks a lot like the squiggly line from 2013 to 2014. This has a lot of people in the financial world all in a tizzy and concerned that we're about to enter another depression.

The problem that I see is the depiction of the values instead of the percentage.

The chart from 1928-1929 shows a market drop from 350 points to 200 points. That's a drop of 43% of the value of the DJIA.

The chart from 2013-2014 shows a market drop from 16000 points to 13400 points. That's a drop of 17% of the value of the DJIA.

Now don't get me wrong, 17% is a big hit to most people's retirement portfolios but it's not enough to cause a depression like the 1928 stock market crash did.

Besides, despite what the federal government would have you believe, we're already in a depression. All a 17% drop in the market will do is make it worse for a brief period and then begin the process of growth.

*

I made it home in time to watch some Curling. It was the United States against Great Britain.

I'm an American and I love my country and I hope the United States wins but if the US is gonna lose, I hope it loses to Great Britain...

*

The following links are for you:

No comments: