Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Great day for flying.

Today was the day that things clicked nicely for me. The wind was a little interesting but it was either not bad or I've gotten used to flying in constantly changing winds.

I did 11 landing approaches and 10 of them resulted in nice landings. On one of them, I got hit by a sudden gust of wind that pushed me over the side of the runway and rather than attempt to right the aircraft, I opted to go around.

Go around's are interesting because the pilot and the aircraft are in landing mode.

My landing mode has me focused entirely on how fast the runway is coming u at me and how far above it I am.

The plane's landing mode has it in a stall with almost no lift under it's wings. The flaps are fully extended and the engine is at idle.

To go around, I have to get my mind and the aircraft back into flying mode.

First thing to do is apply full power and stop the plane from sinking. I have to also stop it from rising because if it tries to climb, it won't build up any airspeed and it will stall. Once the plane as stopped falling, I can take off a notch of flaps which will allow it to build up more air speed.

Once the aircraft has reach flying speed, I can retract the flaps entirely and start a gentle climb into the pattern.

But more importantly, I was able to land the plane without any problems. Granted, one or two of the landings weren't perfect but they were pretty good and I'm happy with my performance.


The Red Sox lost last night and they lost again this afternoon. That means they are now half a game behind the Orioles.

They'll play again tonight and hopefully they'll win.


You should click on these:

No comments: