Monday, March 25, 2019

Analog to Digital

Several months ago, our youngest son took our ancient video camera. I'm not entirely sure why he would want a video camera but he said something about being creative and making movies or something.

Whatever. It's not like we were using it for anything.

Today, he called me to find out if I knew how to get an analog video camera hooked up to a digital computer. He had been calling every electronics store in New Hampshire trying to find a RCA to USB conversion device.

Kids, sit back and let me tell you about that old timey video standard, analog.

I told him I had a few old video cards that might go into an old desktop computer but the problem is, it would have to ba an old computer with ISA or PCI slots.

Then I told him I still had an old stand-alone DVD recorder that had RCA IN. Perhaps he could burn DVDs directly from the camera. He said that would be great!

I'm not entirely sure he understands that this will require him to play the movie in real time while recording it. It's a pain in the ass to sit there pushing play & record and then waiting for the hour or so for the DVD to record.

Oh well, artists have to suffer for their art I guess.


While I wait around for the baseball game to start, you can visit these links:

No comments: