Thursday, March 7, 2019

Chilly but busy day

The next phase of my plan at the college was successfully implemented this week when we implemented multi-factor authentication for all faculty and staff. The rollout has gone very well but as with any change, there are minor issues that need to be resolved and my days are spent being the chief resolver.

I'm guessing that about 95% of the folks have had no issues and are perfectly happy using it. They installed a small app on their phone and when they go to log on to our network, they enter their ID, their password and then click a button labeled "Push". That send a notice to the application on their phone and they can either approve of deny the log on.

Of the other 5% most of them are having simple problems that are resolved with a little extra "friendly training". Some of them live in areas with little or no cell connection. Other simply do not have a modern cell phone capable of running the application or even accepting a text message. We work thing out for them on a individual basis.

The remaining folks are those who simply hate anything new. They say things like "Why do I have to do this?" or "I don't understand what good this does. It's just makes it hard." or my personal favorite, "I'm not using my personal phone for any business!"

It's those people that I'm going to give those annoying RSA tokens to. If you've never seen one, this is what they look like:

That six digit number changes every few minutes and it's difficult at best to see it in a dimly lit room. What makes them truly annoying is if the number changes when you are in the middle of typing it in, your log in is rejected and you have to start all over again.

We had those at my last job and they sucked. I figure after using those things for a few weeks, they'll decide maybe the app isn't a bad idea after all.


I did manage to pay attention to the Red Sox game today and they lost to the Twins 12-1. The Twins showed up with some series hitters and they hit a what I would call "a shitload" of home runs.

Hopefully they start to get their act together soon because opening day is in 21 days.


Here are a few links:

No comments: