Thursday, May 16, 2019

Turns out I didn't break my garage door.

My garage door is fine but my garage door opener has a problem.

The opener has two small switches at each end of the drive track called a limit switch. Their job is to limit the travel of the door up and down. They stop the door opener from continuing to push the door down once it's reached the floor and they stop the door opener from continuing to pull the door up once it's reached the fully open position.

In my case, a small spring broke on the open limit switch and it no longer stopped the door when it was fully open. The door travelled past "open" to a point where the cables no longer had tension on them and they unraveled from their respective spools.

Since I did not realize what the real problem was, I spent two hours fighting the symptoms and not actually solving the problem. Once I got the door in a situation where the cables were no longer unraveling at a whim, I found there was now too much tension on them to close the door.

At that point, I gave up and told my wife that we were calling the door guys in the morning.

At 3:00 this morning, my dog woke me up because well, we're old and we pee a lot. While I was waiting for him to do his business, I had the revelation that the problem was not a lack of tension from the springs but that maybe the door opener was lifting the door too high.

At 5:30, as soon as the sun started coming up, I went out and sure as hell, I found the broken limit switch.

The door now works, I just have to manually stop it before it gets to the end of the track by pushing the stop button.

I ordered a new limit switch and it will be here on Saturday. As soon as it gets here, I will install it and we will once again have control over our garage door.


There is no baseball tonight but there is hockey.

The Bruins are currently up 3-0 in the best of 7 series. If they win tonight, they move on to the championship game and a shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

Tonights game is in Carolina so the Bruins do not have home ice advantage but that probably won't matter. In the semi's, they had a better record away than at home so hopes are high they will finish off the Hurricanes and get some rest before the finals.

As for the Red Sox, they won last night and continue to maintain a better than .500 record.

They are off tonight while they wait for the Astros to come to town for a three-game series.

The Astros are currently the best team in all of MLB so it would be really nice to see the Red Sox take 2 of the 3 games. That would be a major confidence booster as well as keeping them above .500.


While I enjoy tonights hockey game, you can enjoy these links:

No comments: