Monday, August 8, 2022

More housework

I went over to my daughters to help her out with some things but I still managed to find time to look for links and read some news.

Today was attempting to repair a mangled door jam (I failed) and then taping off all the walls in anticipation of painting (I succeeded at that). I also took a look at the electric meter because it isn't attached to the house too securely. It's not flopping around dangerously but you shouldn't be able to move it and you can.

Since I am not a licensed electrician, I cannot open the meter box to screw it into the side of the house. She will have to hire an electrician to do that.

As for the mangled door jam, whoever installed the locks in that door screwed up the cut for the deadbolt. There is a large hole in the jam when there really should just be a ⅝" hole covered by the plate. The hole is so large that you can't put a plate on it. When I installed her new locks, I tried to glue in a plug but due to the damage, the plug didn't hold.

I'm going to have to rout out a larger hole with precise cuts and then glue in a dutchman. Then it's a simple process to sand it, paint it, drill the hole and fit the plate.

Sounds easy, right?


There are dozens of news stories about the "Groundbreaking Healthcare / Climate / Tax Bill" that just barely passed the senate (it needed the VP to vote on the tie breaker) and none of them tell me anything meaningful. And by meaningful, I mean, "How much are my taxes going to increase to pay for all of this?"

I hate these things simply because every time our government passes a "groundbreaking bill", I end up paying more in taxes and getting less in services.


The Red Sox cannot lose tonight because they aren't playing tonight. Today was spent traveling from Kansas City to Boston.

Tomorrow they start a two-game series against the Braves. I do not have high hopes because the Braves are a damn good team.


Enjoy these links:

No comments: