Sunday, July 4, 2021

Merry Independence Day everybody.



My mother-in-law will spend at least one more day (probably two) in the hospital. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her so we suspect it might be because she going to need nursing care and due to the holiday, they are having trouble arranging VNA services.

My wife went and visited with her for a bit this afternoon so at least she had some company today.


My day was spent dismantling and painting my two carriage lights and my post light.

After 30 years of weather and sun, they were pretty faded and I was either going to replace them or make an attempt to paint them. We bought them and I installed them almost 30 years ago and I don't recall ever doing anything to them after that.

I spent a few minutes studying them and discovered they were made of brass sheet and were held together with brass screws. For me to find new light fixtures of that quality now-a-days would be pretty near impossible and even if you could find them, they would cost an outrageous amount of money.

Once I made my decision, I dismantled them and laid all the parts on some cardboard in the garage. I could not remove the glass because it was held in with tabs that would have either snapped when I tried to bend them out of the way or I would have cracked the glass. That meant taping off the glass.

Once the parts were taped, I sprayed them with a nice coating of gloss black paint and let them dry for a few hours.

Once the paint hardened, it was simply a matter of remantling (Is that a word? It should be a word. If you dismantle something, you should be able to remantle it.) them and now they are back in place and they look brand new.

It always fascinates me what you can do with a little knowledge and some spray paint.


The Red Sox lost in the 12th inning last night. No, I did not stay up to see them lose but what I did watch was a good game of baseball. Both teams played hard and they traded leads throughout the game. I fell asleep in the 8th inning just as the A's tied the game 4-4 and when I woke up, I was not surprised to see that it took 12 innings.

As for this afternoon, the Red Sox won 1-0.

Again, both teams played hard and it was a good game to watch. Pivetta pitched a great 7 innings and held the A's to 2 hits and no runs. The Red Sox almost blew it in the ninth but Barnes held on & got the necessary three outs before the A's could score and tie the game.

In other Red Sox news, there will be 5 Red Sox players in the All Star game this year: Devers, Bogaerts, Martinez, Eovaldi and Barnes will all be in Denver to play in what I consider the single most meaningless game in all of sports, which is good because it shouldn't have any meaning.

The All Star game is really just a way for MLB to say, "All you guys are pretty good at what you do. Here's some swag and a nice little addition to your resumé that you can use come contract negotiation time."


While I admire my freshly painted light fixtures and catch up on some DVRs, you can enjoy these links:

No comments: