Sunday, February 5, 2023

I can cut glass!

The Professor found an old picture that she wants framed and hung up but the problem is it is 16½x20½. That means it won't fit in a standard 16x20 inch picture frame.

Getting some frame molding and making the frame is easy but I needed a piece of glass that was the correct size.

I found an old storm window I had stashed away in the corner of my basement and I pulled it apart. Then I dug out my "always-fail" glass cutter and thought about cutting the glass but then I remembered the last time I tried to cut glass.

I have scars from that event.

So I decided to study up a bit before making my attempt and I found numerous videos of people cutting glass. They all go basically the same way:
    Okay, first put the glass down on a flat surface.
    Then use the glass cutter to score the glass.
    Now snap the glass at the score line.
As I recall, it was at that point that the glass shattered in my hands...

But, being an idiot who will try anything twice, I set the glass sheet down on the table, put my framing square on the line I wanted to cut and ran my glass cutting wheel across the glass. Then I slide the glass over to the edge of the table, put on a pair of thick leather gloves (hey, I'm an idiot, not a moron) and proceeded to...

...snap the glass along the score line!

I couldn't believe it, it went just like it was suppossed to go and didn't explode in my hands like the last time.

I repeated the process to give me the final dimensions and it went just as well as the first time.

So now I have a piece of glass that will fit the print nicely. Tomorrow I will run over to Lowes to pick up some framing molding. Then it's a matter of cutting the molding to length with nice 45° angles, gluing & pinning it together and once the glue dries, staining to match the woodwork in the house.


I wanted to talk about this incident.

The SouthWest passenger plane was cleared to take off while the FedEx cargo plane was landing. This was in visibility of less than 2 miles.

The SouthWest pilots could not see what was going on behind them and the FedEx pilots couldn't see the SouthWest plane until they were almost on top of it.

At one point the FedEx plane was only 77 feet above the ground. The tail of a Boeing 737 is 57 feet above the ground. That means the bottom of the Fed Ex (FX1432) plane was only about 20 feet above the tail of the SouthWest (WN708) plane.

The FedEx plane was traveling at 161mph as it was landing when the pilot suddenly radios he is "on the go", jams the throttles full forward and initiates a go-around to avoid crashing into the SouthWest.

If it wasn't for those FedEx pilots, this would have been a devastating crash, killing hundreds of people.

And this is all the direct fault of the air traffic controller in the tower not paying enough attention to what was going on in his area of control.


Time to make some dinner.

Enjoy these links:

No comments: