Sunday, October 14, 2012

This isn't good. Not good at all.

I've made no secret of the fact that I am a fan of the Boston Red Sox. I follow them as closely as I can and I watch every game that I can stay awake for. I track them online or on my phone when I'm not able to watch the game on TV (that's gotten me in trouble a few times).

In other words, they are my team.

I've also made no secret of the fact that while I am a fan of the Red Sox, I am more of a fan of the game of baseball itself than of the Red Sox.

With that in mind, I'm about to say something that will shock most Red Sox fans:

If I had to pick a favorite baseball player, it would be Derek Jeter.

That's right - Derek Jeter is, in my opinion, one of the greats of the game. He loves to play the game and it shows. When he takes the field, he always has a little-kid smile on his face and he always plays the game like it was meant to be played - full of joy and excitement.

He is also the most emulated ball player I've ever seen. Watch any little league ball player get ready to bat and this is what you will see: You will see a 10 year old kid approach the plate and raise raise hand to the ump as if to say, "Hang on, I'm not ready yet."

That is a Jeterism. It's something he does it every time he comes up to bat.

Last night, in the twelfth inning of a great baseball game, Derek Jeter was playing short stop like he always does - with full out abandon and joy - when he came down on his left foot at an odd angle. His leg immediately canted outward and it was very obvious that Derek is not going to be playing baseball anymore this season.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch the games but they won't be as much fun.

*

I mowed my lawn yesterday afternoon and it was kind of nice to wake up this morning and find that my yard was still leaf-free.

I should have cut down all those damned trees twenty years ago.

*

Check out these links. Or not. Whatever...


No comments: