Wednesday, August 21, 2013

College kids need bicycles.

My daughter, who is in her fourth year at college, took her bike up to school last year and found that it was pretty convenient for getting around campus. The bike suffered because it was left outside in the snow but it managed to survive and she got it fixed up for this upcoming college year.

Her brother, who is a second year college student, decided that having a bike would also be a pretty good idea. Unfortunately for him, his bicycle is in pretty rough shape. You see, he's far more of a daredevil than his sister and throughout his youth, his bike was used to jump small canyons, ford streams and careen off of trees and such.

So this evening we took his bike over to the guy who fixed my daughters bike (thanks Kevin) and he said that my sons bike was pretty much beyond repair. He did, however, have a nice rebuilt bike that my son decided was perfect for his needs (thanks again Kevin).

And so, my college children are now ready to return to their respective institutions of higher learnin' with full mobility capabilities.

*

As for my done-with-college child, he is doing just fine. He is settling into his new role at Beth Israel Hospital and slowly moving his belongings from his old apartment into his new apartment. He is a little confused by the whole "signing up for benefits" thing but I told him I would help him with that once he was ready.

It's nice to see that he is enthusiastic and happy about the whole thing. He has worked hard to accomplish all that he has and I think he has chosen a great place to start his career.

It's interesting being a dad who is watching his son change from a child into a friend. I like to think I was a good dad to my children and, having succeeded at that, I will try to be a good friend to them as well. It's nice to look back over the last few decades and say, "Damn, we did a pretty good job."

*

Here are some links you might enjoy:

No comments: