Sunday, April 2, 2017

No wall stripping today

I got more done on the walls yesterday than I planned so I took today off from the steamer.

I attended a class this morning at 7B2 on the upcoming changes the FAA is making to the medical certificate process. IT's going to be interesting and according to the doctor that taught the class, it should be better for us private pilots.

Currently, a private pilot over the age of forty has to get a medical certificate from a aviation medical examiner every two years. The examiner certifies that the pilot is physically and mentally able to fly a plane. They check eyesight, blood pressure and heart rate. They also ask a whole bunch of questions about medications, sleep habits, stress levels, drug use, etc...

When all is said and done, they make a determination about your mental & physical health and either issue you a certificate or deny you.

The upcoming changes are more of an honor system.

Under the new system, I need to see my personal physician every four years and have him fill out a form that says I am healthy. If I have any problems, I just have to get treatment for it. For instance, if my blood pressure suddenly begins to exceed the allowable limits, I just have to get treatment for high blood pressure and I'm all set.

Also, I have to take an online course provided by the FAA on health safety every two years. During the course, I will have to give the FAA access to my driving record as well as attest to my health and understanding of the regulations. If I lie to them and they find out, I will immediately lose my pilots license and probably be fined $250,000.

The problem with the new system is that the deadline for all of this is July 15. If the FAA doesn't have all of the forms and courses ready to go on July 15th, it becomes a free-for-all as far as medical certification goes.

Personally, I'll probably stick with seeing my AME every two years. I may think I'm healthy but they validate it and I feel better knowing I won't pass out or have a heart attack in the air.

That would be bad.


Today was opening day for the MLB and I watched the Yankees get their butt whooped by the Rays.

Tomorrow the Red Sox open their season at 2:00 pm against the Pirates and I will be watching that game. That means I better start working on my last wall early in the morning so I can finish it up before 2:00.


You might enjoy these links:

No comments: