Saturday, February 26, 2022

Python, PHP and SQL

You would think that at my age I would be done learning new things.

You would be wrong.

When I took that old, run-down Dell computer and installed ubuntu server on it, I created a monster.

I turned it into a SQL server, a webserver, a video monitor and a VPN. At some point, I removed the VPN and put that on a Raspberry pi that was also running ubuntu server. Eventually I turned off the video system all together because I didn't have enough RPis to provide the video feeds. That left the Dell box to be a webserver and a SQL server.

Now that everything is working, I'm teaching myself SQL and PHP to do interesting things with the webserver. I'm also teaching myself python so I can access the databases and process the data from my laptop.

More importantly, I'm forcing my brain to become active and hopefully avoid the whole, "Bah! You kids and your fancy-shmancy computer phones! Why, when I was your age we had analog brick phones and we were happy with them, con-sarn-it."


Putin is continuing his push to overthrow the government of Ukraine and take over the country but it appears that the Ukrainians have a different plan.

There is a lot of "stuff" on the internet about the war and when I look at it, I assume that 55% of it is propaganda from the Russians, 25% of it is bullshit being foisted on us by "influencers" looking for views that will kick up their ad revenue and 15% of it is lies by assholes who think they are being funny. That means 5% of it is legitimate information coming from individuals directly involved in this war.

Taking that 5% and pouring through it reveals that Russia is probably going to defeat the Ukrainians in much the same way we defeated the Vietnamese. They will defeat the army but the citizens will turn into gorilla fighters.

It is also beginning to look like the Russian Air Force has been given a directive to begin bombing the city of Kyiv and other major cities in an effort to demoralize the populace. If that happens, the you can expect that every nation on the planet will condemn Putin and classify him as a terrorist.

What worries me is that he has nuclear weapons at his disposal and it looks like he might be willing to use them.

If that happens, all bets are off.


The Bruins are taking on the Sharks at 10:00 tonight.

The Bruins are currently one point behind the Capitals in the wild card race. If they win tonight and pick up the two points, they will jump into first place in the wild card.

I'll know tomorrow if they are the wild card team or still a wanna-be.


I'm watching bad television and falling asleep early because there is no good television and I'm tired.

While I play around with python and SQL, you can check these out:

No comments: