Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Some web services are a pain in the ass

I have a small web server running in my basement that I use to share large files with non-technical folks. The perfect example is sending a picture to my 85 year old aunt. Email sucks because most email platforms won't allow large files. The easiest way to do it is to send her a link that she can click on. The way she gets the picture and I don't have to spend a half hour on the phone explaining how to log into a service or create an account somewhere.

As a coworker used to say when something difficult went off without a hitch, "Easy Peezy, Lemon Squeezy"

For the record, I never understood what lemons being squeezed had to do with configuring a router or moving a huge application into production but she always liked saying that so I just nodded and said, "Uh, okay... Whatever... Look, we're done early, let's go get a beer.".

But back to the web server.

I installed PHP on the server and for some god-forsaken reason, the download of PHP included Apache. I was not aware of that and when Apache suddenly started running on my server, the web server application I use started failing. Seems Apache grabbed on to port 80 and prevented my service from binding to it.

For those of you that don't know about Apache, let me enlighten you by simply telling you to do a google search for log4j vulnerability.

It took me a bit of research to find out what happened but once I found it, I deleted all remnants of that highly-vulnerable Apache crap off my server, restarted my preferred web service and all was good in my world.


The Bruins are playing the Kraken at 7:00 this evening and I'm hoping to watch at least 2 periods. I'm also hoping to watch a Bruins victory...

While I do that, you can see if these are any good:

No comments: