Sunday, December 4, 2022

Alexa, turn on the Christmas tree

Normally we put a small Christmas tree in our family room that we plug into a switched plug. That way it's easy to turn the lights on and off.

This year we decided to put the tree in the other TV room because that's where my wife likes to watch her shows while I watch sports and such in the family room. Unfortunately, that second room does not have a switched plug in it.

Enter The Vet.

My daughter bought a four pack of smart plugs for her Christmas lights and only needed two of them. She suggested I take one and use it to control the Christmas tree.

Well, after some quick and painless finagling, the Christmas tree and Alexa are happily talking to each other. The smart plug has been programmed to turn the tree lights on at 4:00 and off at 9:00. If my wife would like it on or off at different times, she simply tells Alexa what to do and Alexa takes care of it.


The Steelers beat the Falcons this afternoon but I didn't get to see it because I was at The Vet's house installing a storm door.

According to the instructions, this little project should have taken around 45 minutes. I can tell you that if you are a professional Anderson door installer, the door frame is exactly the size it should be and the frame does not vary from top to bottom, you can do this in 45 minutes.

If you are a 64 year old guy whose helper has covid, the door frame is slightly smaller than it should be and it's a bit off kilter, you can do the job in 2 hours.

I still have one more door to install but I'm hoping now that I've installed one door, the second door will be a little easier.

I'm also hoping that Santa Claus brings me a winning lottery ticket...


Dinner was simple cheese and bacon omlets. Now it's time to pop three ibuprofens and watch some DVRs.

You should consider checking these out:

No comments: