Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Interesting day today

My instructor and I had originally scheduled to fly to Nashua, NH today bit cloud cover prevented that. Instead, I did a few more short field/soft field landings & takes off and then did my third supervised solo.

M first solo takeoff went very well and I was pretty happy with it. I made my downwind turn and then my base turn feeling like this was going to be a cakewalk.

I settled into my final approach and all was well until I suddenly got kicked over to the left just as I expected to land. This is a bad thing because instead of settling onto the runway, I was settling onto the grass and into the trees along side the runway. My brain screamed at me, "This is bad! This is very bad" and I keyed the mike to call for a go around. Thanks to my training, I calmly performed the go around by applying throttle and working the aircraft as needed. I managed to execute a perfect go around and re-entered the pattern along with several other aircraft.

M next three landings were perfect and I am very happy with them.

My instructor and a few of the airport staff were pretty pleased with my uninstructed go around and they kept telling me that a go-around is way better than a bent plane.

Bottom line is that my instructor has now signed off on my solo requirements and I can now fly on my own. On my own includes some restrictions about wind speed, direction and hours but I gotta admit that it's kind of cool that I can now jump in a plane and head off into the wild blue yonder whenever I please.


Enjoy these meager links:

No comments: