Saturday, July 30, 2016

They have a one game winning streak

The Red Sox managed to beat the Angels last night moving them to within 1.5 games of the Orioles. Unfortunately the Blue Jays won yesterday as well which means the Red Sox are still 1 game behind them in third place.

Oh, and in case you wanted to know, yes, I managed to stay awake until 11:15 last which means I got to watch 5 innings of the game.

Tonight's game is on at 9:00 but since I stayed up late last night and still woke up at 5:00 this morning, I doubt I'll be able to watch much more than 4 or 5 innings.


I've been studying for my flight exam and man, do they require a lot of math.

I need to be able to calculate a magnetic heading based on the true course from A to B, the magnetic deviation (14° for us folks here in Western Mass, 15° for you people out in Boston), wind direction and wind velocity. Oh yea, toss in the airspeed and let me tell you, it's a bunch of interesting formulas.

I also need to calculate aircraft weight and center of gravity based on a whole 'nother bunch of formulas about who is sitting where, how much the passengers weigh, how much fuel is in which tank and how much the cargo weighs.

Along with all the math, there is a huge amount of simple memorization about things like pattern altitudes, flap settings and rules regarding when, how and where I can fly, I feel like I'm getting a brain cramp.

As I'm studying and taking practice exams, I sometimes ask myself why, at my age, am I doing this.

Then I get into a plane and I remember why I'm doing this.

I love it.


Try these links out:

No comments: