Thursday, November 17, 2016

Yes, I did the leaves. Again.

I took care of all the leaves this morning and by the afternoon there was a pretty good coating of leaves on it again but I expected that.

In case you were wondering, the reason I do my leaves as often as I do is because I'm lazy. I hate raking so I run them over with my lawn tractor. If I didn't do them as often as I do, my tractor wouldn't be able to pick them up and I'd have to get out the rake.

I hate raking.


This is a kind-of-late posting because this evening I started my night flying and I gotta tell you, it was different than flying during the day.

In the first place, you have no horizon to speak of. Also, you can't see the ground unless you are flying over a well-lit area so you have to rely on your altimeter to keep you from having what the NTSB likes to call a CFIT.

I took off at 5:00 and flew until 6:30. During that time, we flew over to Westfield and did nine full-stop landings. After that, it was back to Northampton where I did one more full stop landing, giving me the ten full-stop landings I need to complete that portion of the training.



The reason we did this in Westfield is the runway there is 9,000 feet long and 150 feet wide. The runway in Northampton is 3,000 feet long and only 50 feet wide. Westfield is a more forgiving environment for this kind of thing.

Next up is my nighttime cross-country flight. My instructor thinks we should go down to Groton because not only does it give me the distance I need, it takes place under the watchful eye of Bradley TraCon. Trust me, having those guys keeping an eye on me while I'm flying is always a good thing.


While I bask in the glory of checking another box in my quest to achieve flight, you can visit these few links:

No comments: