Thursday, March 26, 2020

This is beginning to get boring

I'm getting used to this WFH thing but it's kinda boring.

⧫

My job skills are “info sec/cyber defense/risk management/paranoid nerd” but another part of my job is to educate people. I do that by sending periodic notices to the faculty and staff about what’s going on in the world that could potentially harm them.

Having said that, I thought I’d share with you a thought I shared with them this morning. Please note, I do not use the same language with my coworkers and executive staff that I use with you. What follows is a Survival of the Fittest version of my original message…

Sometime in the next few weeks, the government will be sending out a shitload of money and if you don’t think the scammers are going to work hard to get that money, you are naïve at best, bless your heart.
  • Anyone sending you unsolicited emails or calling you and directing you to a “stimulus package” website is most likely a scammer.
  • Anyone asking you to enter your bank account information in order to facilitate direct deposit of stimulus funds is most likely a scammer.
As I understand it, the IRS is tasked with distributing any stimulus funds to the public. Their website at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus should be considered the authoritative source for any information about the upcoming stimulus process.

Anyone else claiming to have the “inside scoop” is bullshitting you. Get away from them.

⧫

You can click on these if you want:

No comments: