Monday, April 26, 2021

I've decided to torture myself

I'm teaching myself C++. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, C++ is a programming language designed to be as difficult as possible. And by difficult, I mean freakin' impossible.

For instance, if I want to have my program print the time, it will print the number of seconds that have elapsed since January 1, 1970. For the record, that's 1,619,459,243 seconds as of April 26, 2021 @ 6:47pm. If I want the time to show up in some form that a human will understand, I have to run those seconds through a series of canned functions.

I learned some C back in the 80s but I'm old and that was a long time ago. I don't remember any of it and besides, the language I learned was C, not C++. The differences between C and C++ is like the difference between Portuguese and Spanish - close but not the same.

Teaching yourself C++ is like teaching yourself to drive a car. You can do it but you're gonna crash a lot.


No sports for me to watch tonight. That means I'll be burning through some of those DVRs I've been collecting.

I also might dive into some Mandalorian. I watched the first season last year and the first two episodes of the second season when they came out but then hockey started and then spring training kicked off so The Mandalorian took a back seat.

While I figure out what I'm going to do for my nightly entertainment, you can check these out:

No comments: