Thursday, April 22, 2021

Too windy to fly

Today was the day I had scheduled my biannual flight review. Unfortunately, mother nature had different ideas.

I checked the weather at Bradley, Barnes & Westover and found the following:
    Bradley in Windsor Locks was predicting winds at 20kt with gusts to 32kt
    Barnes in Westfield was predicting winds at 23kt with gusts to 34kt
    Westover in Chicopee was predicting winds at 30kt with gusts to 40kt
You may notice the pattern: The closer you get to Northampton, the stronger the wind gets.

The wind is not my friend but the gusts are my enemy. Landing a plane in high winds is easy if you are flying into a steady wind. Landing a plane in high winds that suddenly get stronger, weaker, stronger, weaker, etc... is an accident waiting to happen. I don't want any accidents.

I texted my instructor and said that today looked pretty bad. He agreed and we decided that next Tuesday would be a hell of a lot better.

According to the weather prediction dweebs, next Tuesday is supposed to have temps in the 70's, some fair-weather high clouds and winds be around 8 or 9 knots.

That sounds a lot better to me.



The only argument I can find against this is that the federal government will favor the state of Washington D.C. more than the other 50 states. Sorta like how Boston gets everything and the rest of us out here in Western Massachusetts get shit.

Personally, I can't see any reason at all why it should not be a state. Hell, if Wyoming (population 580,000) can be a state, Washington D.C. (population 690,000) can be a state.

I also think Puerto Rico should be a state but that might just be another reason why I should never be in charge.


The Red Sox lost to the Blue Jays last night.

They are still in first place in the AL, tied with the Oakland "Holy shit! Where did they come from?" Athletics.

Tonight's game starts a four-game series against the Mariners who are only ½ a game behind the Red Sox and the Athletics.


It's good to be a sports fan because there is both hockey and baseball on tap for tonight.

While I flip back and forth between those two games, you can visit these interesting tidbits of crap:

No comments: