Sunday, April 4, 2021

Nice Easter day.

Easter consisted of our little household bubble, meaning it was my wife, my daughter and myself. I'm kind of hoping this is the last holiday we need to keep our distance because it would be nice to see the boys and finally meet our grandson.

Speaking of which, he's doing very well. Thanks for asking.


The Orioles managed to beat the crap out of the Red Sox this afternoon and I'm ready to question the decisions made to keep Garrett Richard's on the roster as a starting pitcher.

I don't remember each inning he pitched during spring training but I do know that I was not impressed. Now that I see him in the regular season, I can say that he is not pitching very well and "not pitching very well" is what killed the Red Sox last season.

After 2 innings, with the bases loaded and the score 3-0, they took Richards out, put Josh Taylor in and....

....he proceeded to walk the first batter he saw with only four pitches to bring in the fourth Oriole run.

Taylor threw four fastballs that were all 6 to 12 inches above the strike zone. He could do nothing with his fastball so he started throwing breaking balls.

Now I'm no major league baseball hitter but I do know that if you are at the plate and you know the pitcher can only throw breaking balls, you know when & where to swing the bat. Apparently the Orioles also know that trick because by the time the third inning ended, the score was 10-0.

Did I mention it was only the third inning?

As for the hitters, they weren't doing much better. The final score of the game was 11-3.

They are now 0-3 and I don't think that Cora has a clue as to how to right the ship.

This could turn out to be a long season for us Red Sox fans.


I'm pleased to say that my cobol skills are back. I've managed to create datasets, write datasets, read datasets and manipulate data.

Since the machine comes with a 'C' compiler, maybe I'll start writing some 'C' code to see how that goes.

I realize it sounds odd but I'm having fun playing with this machine.

In other Raspberry PI news, when I tire of mainframe stuff, I've decided I'll install a new OS and move the machine up to my family room, plug the HDMI interface into my television and turn my tv into a streaming media machine.

I figure streaming Netflix, Disney+ and Youtube on a 55 inch high def television is better than watching it on my laptop.

Maybe I'll get that Discovery+ thing...


Dinner is done, Jordan Spieth has won the Valero Texas Open and I'm going to watch some news.

You can click on these if you want:


No comments: