Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Seven inning double headers

I think nine innings is the perfect number of innings for a baseball game. The games last anywhere from 3 to 4 hours which is just about the right time for a ball game.

Last season, MLB introduced seven inning double headers which means I get to watch two baseball games without having to sit through 8 hours of baseball.

The first game of today's double header started at 1:10 and ended at 3:30. Tonight's game starts at 7:10 and it's a pretty good bet it will be over by 9:30. I can watch two 2-hour games.

And speaking of the first game, the Red Sox lost to the Yankees 5-3. Houk pitched pretty well and left the game with the Red Sox up 3-2. Then the bullpen kinda imploded and the Yankees scored 3 quick runs. Try as they might, the hitters just couldn't drive in any runs.

Let's hope the second game goes better for the Red Sox. Eovaldi is pitching so I'm kinda hoping he goes all seven innings.


Now that all my cases have been through an initial wash and dry, I can tell you that I have over 1,000 pistol and 100 rifle cases.

Yes, I realize that this makes me a hoarder.

Given that 1,000 pistol cases would cost around $200 and 100 rifle cases would cost around $75, I'm kinda pleased with my hoarding.

Next up is depriming & sizing the pistol cases and then washing them in a solution of water, vinegar and salt to restore them to like-new condition.

Assuming all goes well with the depriming & sizing, then I'll run them through the expander while priming them with new primers. Expanding is done only to the neck of the case so that you can properly seat a bullet. Once they are expanded and primed, it's a matter of charging them with the appropriate amount of powder, seating the bullets and crimping the case neck around the bullet.

That sounds simple and it is but it is also the part that if you screw it up, you might just end up with the nickname "Three Fingers Fred" or "One Eyed Sam".

I prefer to keep all my fingers and both my eyes, thank you very much, so I will read and reread the formula regarding charge amount for bullet weight. Then I will calculate and recalculate before arriving at a powder weight.


Time for dinner and then more baseball.

You should think about checking these out:

No comments: