Monday, August 23, 2021

I'm sick of being damp

According to the weather dweebs, we have several more days of damp weather ahead of us. The rain should be over with sometime tonight but then the next three days it's going to be hot (upper 80's/lower 90's) and be humid. This means we'll have the normal New England summertime weather of "a possibility of scattered showers in the afternoon".

I still have a small puddle in my basement... Well, it's not so much a puddle as it is an overly damp spot where the foundation wall has a small crack. Fortunately, the dehumidifier seems to be doing enough to keep the flood at bay and I don't have to spend my time running my wet/dry vac.


The gas company sent me a notice that they need to replace my gas meter. I called them and made an appointment for them to come out and do the install this Wednesday morning.

I figured I'd tell you that so if you happen to see or hear a large explosion in my area on Wednesday morning, check up on me to make sure I'm okay.


The Red Sox and the Rangers played at 1:00 today, making up the game that they were supposed to play yesterday.

The Red Sox scored two quick runs in the second inning and one more in the sixth while the Rangers didn't manage to score a run until the fifth inning. They went into the ninth inning with the Red Sox up 3-1.

So in an effort to give me a freakin' heart attack, Cora put Barnes in to close the game and he promptly gave up two runs to tie the game. Cora took him out and put Whitlock in. Fortunately, Whitlock managed to get the requisite number of outs, ending the ninth inning in a 3-3 tie.

The Rangers scored a run in the tenth but so did the Red Sox, sending the game into the eleventh inning.

Whitlock held off the Rangers and the Red Sox came up to bat in the bottom of the eleventh tied 4-4.

For the record, the MLB changed the way extra-inning games are played by having each inning start with a runner on second. The first two Red Sox batters managed to walk and get a hit to load the bases.

So with the bases loaded, Travis Shaw, a guy who who started his MLB career with the Red Sox before being traded to the Brewers back in 2016 stepped up to the plate. It should be noted that two weeks ago, Shaw was released by the Brewers and the Red Sox promptly picked him up off waivers. During his first stint with the Red Sox, Shaw was known as "The Mayor of Ding Dong City". In case you don't know it, a home run is sometimes referred to as a "dinger" and since he hit a lot of "dingers", his teammates started calling him the mayor of ding dong city.

I don't see any reason to drop his nickname since with the bases loaded in the eleventh inning, The Mayor of Ding Dong City hit a walk-off grand slam to win the game 8-4.

Welcome home Mr. Mayor.


Time to eat some dinner and watch bad television.

Here are today's links:


No comments: