Saturday, August 7, 2021

They are in full suck mode

I have been following the Red Sox since I was in first grade back in 1964. That was the year that Brian Quirk and I signed up to play baseball in the parochial school league in Springfield. We played for the school we attended (Holy Cross) and we had a coach who inspired our love of the game.

We were the stereotypical little boys - collecting the baseball cards of our favorite players, listening to the games on the radio or gathering around the tv set to watch those games that were televised. We didn't care what teams were playing as long as we could listen or watch the game.

My mom was an avid Red Sox fan and because of that, I became a Red Sox fan.

Why did I tell you that? So you know how long I have followed the Red Sox.

Ah, the Boston Red Sox... The team of Yaz, Rico, TonyC, Spaceman and Boomer. The team that gave us Eck, Pudge, Dewey, Butch, Jim-Ed and Bernie. They would start the season in full kick-ass mode and we would get all excited. We would talk about the games like we had played them ourselves.

Then, in the middle of the season, they would fall apart.

Every year, they would be in first or second place at the All Star break only to go into a slump that I liked to the call "The All Star Slump". They would start each game looking like a professional baseball team but by the fourth inning, they looked like little-leaguers, struggling to hit, struggling to field and struggling to score.

It was "The Curse". It was the penalty we were all paying for Mr. Harry Herbert Frazee's greed when he sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees for $125,000 dollars. It was inevitable and we accepted the demise of our season by saying, "We'll get 'em next year!"

Well, it seems like that is happening again. I'm beginning to get that same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as I watch the Red Sox lose 12 of their 21 games since the All Star break. I'm not liking the fact they are a sub-500 team since the break. It reminds me of what they were like for most of my life.

I do, however, have faith. I'm hopeful they will get back on track and start winning again but I'm also a fan from the 1960's who understands that we're talking about Red Sox. We need to be prepared to be disappointed. I will continue to cheer on Kiké, Froe, Dugie, Rafie, Bogie and JD. I will enjoy watching them play and if they win it all, I'll enjoy that as well.


Back on March 3rd I said, "I have a feeling that Kathy Hochul may become the governor of New York in the very near future.." I also said that I thought she was not unattractive.

I might have been right about the first part but I'd like to rescind the part about her not being unattractive.

She has on way too much makeup to judge her level of attractiveness and I've always said that anyone who wears that much makeup is hiding something.

As for Cuomo, he's an arrogant self-centered New Yorker, just like Trump. I don't like him just like I don't like Trump. Fortunately for me, I don't live in New York so I don't have to give a shit about him. New Yorkers voted him into office so they should get to vote him out. It's not up to Goofy Joe, or anyone else for that matter, to dictate his removal, it's up to the voters to decide his fate.


They lost the first game of the double-header. I hope they win the second game.

While I watch that, you can enjoy these:

No comments: