Thursday, May 26, 2022

Six Game Winning Streak

The Red Sox lost last night, ending their winning streak at six games. I only watched four innings of the game because there was a rain delay to start and when I went to bed, the Red Sox were up 1-0. Hill was pitching pretty well and I kind of hoped the bats were going to spring to life like they did the night before.

Turns out the Hill gave up a three run homer in the fifth inning and the Red Sox bats never came to life. The game ended with the White Sox winning 3-1.

One more 8:00 game tonight and then it's home to Boston.


Let's talk about guns for a minute.

First thing I want to say is that there is no such thing as gun violence, there is only people violence.

Second thing I want to say is we have a problem with young white males in this country. I don't know what that problem is but it seems like every mass shooting is perpetrated by a young white male.

I'm not going to argue the gun point with anyone that thinks guns are bad but I will argue with anyone that thinks the problem we have is a gun problem. We have a societal problem and I have no idea what the solution is. Maybe we need to reinstitute the draft and it doesn't necessarily have to be a military draft. Maybe it's a public service draft or a grow up and be respectful draft.

Maybe we need to spend a lot of money training people how to be human beings instead of monsters that shoot 10 year old babies.

What I do know is that if someone has it in their head to kill a lot of people, guns are a convenient way to do it but not the only way. Cars, knifes, bow & arrows, molotov cocktails, etc... Anyone that is evil enough to make the decision to kill people will do it no matter what.

In the state I live in, in order to get a gun you must first go through training in firearm safety, then you must go through both a background check and a mental fitness evaluation. Assuming you pass the course, the background check and the evaluation, then, and only then, will you be issued a license. That license is good for five years and you must go through the background check and mental fitness evaluation to renew it.

As far as I'm concerned, no one should be allowed to possess a firearm without having gone through a thorough background check, a mental fitness evaluation and a training course but I'm also convinced that blaming guns for crimes perpetrated by humans is like blaming birds flapping their wings for causing the wind.


Enjoy these links:

No comments: