Sunday, May 22, 2022

Five game winning streak!

Yesterday, the Red Sox came back from a 5-0 deficit when Devers hit a stand-alone home run in the third and a two-run home run in the fifth. Also in the fifth, Dalbec grabbed an RBI single and Story hit a RBI sacrifice fly. That tied the game 5-5.

Then, in the eighth, with Cordera on second, Vazquez hit a line drive out to center that scored Cordero. That gave the Red Sox a 6-5 lead. They managed to hold on to that lead and that is how the game ended.

As I mentioned yesterday, my youngest was at Fenway last night and he got to watch a great game from some great seats.


As for this afternoon's game, my youngest was not there.

Eovaldi pitched way better than he did during his last outing and he left the game in the sixth inning with the Red Sox up 3-2.

The bullpen did a good job and held off the Mariners through the seventh and the eighth but in the ninth, with two outs, Suarez of the Mariners hit a towering home run off Robles and tied the game 3-3.

Then, in the tenth, the Mariners managed to score again and take a 4-3 lead. This left the Red Sox with a hill to climb in the bottom of the tenth.

Dalbec started the inning as the runner on second. He was almost immediately moved over to third on a single by Vazquez. Hernandez hit a sharp single, Vazquez moved to second and Dalbec scored, tying the game.

With the game tied in the tenth inning, runners on first & second and no outs, Devers came to the plate. He hit a snap single to right field that was far enough to give Vazquez a shot at scoring. He put his head down and ran as fast as he could but he was put out at the plate.

This left runners at second & third and one out, The Mariners opted to walk Bogaerts and load the bases with Story coming up to bat.

Story flied out to right field and the runners had no chance to advance. There were now two outs, the bases were still loaded and Cordero stepped to the plate. He fouled off the first pitch for strike one and swung & missed the second pitch for strike two.

So, with two strikes against him, A kid who up until April 29th was playing AAA ball in Worcester...

...hit a grand slam to win the game and sweep the series.

Now they head off to Chicago for a three-game series against the White Sox with a five-game winning streak under their belts.

The only thing that can make this better is if they sweep the White Sox and come home with a eight-game winning streak.


It was kind of hot today.

Let me rephrase that: It was damned hot today. Way hotter than I like it. And I have not yet put my AC's in my windows because we have not yet cleaned said windows.

Fortunately, all next week is suppossed to have temps topping out in the 70's. That means we can clean the windows and install the AC without sweating our asses off.

As for today, I have a fan pointed at me as I lounge on my couch so I'm pretty sure I'll live.


Now I'm going to barbeque some chicken and vegetables on the grill which means I'm going to slave over an open flame.

While I do that, you might want to check these out:

No comments: