Sunday, September 4, 2022

Holy Crap! Five in a row!

The Red Sox beat the Rangers last night and again this afternoon. Not only does this mean they swept the Rangers, it also means they have won five games in a row. Oh, and it means they have won seven of their last ten games.

They shipped Dalbec down to Worcester and called up Tristan Casas.

This is a good thing simply because Casas is a pretty good player and Dalbec is falling apart. At least down in Worcester, he'll play more and be able to work on his swing. He used to hit home runs like they were nothing but now he can't seem to hit anything. He needs to figure out what the problem is and work on things. Hopefully the hitting coach in Worcester, Rich Gedman, can spot the problem and offer the appropriate fix(es).

After today's game, they hopped on a plane and headed to Florida where tomorrow they will start a three-game series against the Rays.

Again, I doubt they'll overcome the deficit to make it into the playoffs but I still like seeing them win.


There was no work at the Vet's house today but there is work at my house.

Fourty+ years ago, my father-in-law made a nice shelf unit for his daughter, my soon-to-be wife. That piece migrated to our house when we got married and eventually became a storage unit for all of the kids toys and games as well as a TV stand.

During the time it served the kids, they were a little rough on it and maybe even a little mischievous. There were some stars carved into the top as well as some initials. It was also pretty banged up.

Well, my wife asked if I could take the top off it, shorten it a bit and then refinish it so she could use it in her office. Today was the start of that project.

It has three shelves: top, center and bottom. There is also a cubby that was formed by a riser between the top and the center shelves.

I cut the sides at the center shelf, removing the top shelf. I then removed the riser and filled the dado with a cutoff. Finally, I shortened the bottom shelf a bit.

Right now it sits in the basement while the glue dries on the strip in the dado. Tomorrow I will hand plane the filler strip along with the edges where I cut the sides to remove the top. Then I will sand everything to not only smooth the edges but to remove as much of the finish as possible.

After that it will be mixing stains to achieve the desired color. Since I probably won't be able to remove all of the existing finish, the mixing of the stain will be a little more difficult because I'll have match the existing color.

The final step will be to add a back to the now two-shelf unit. When it was three shelves with a a center riser, it was sturdy but now that the cubby and top shelf are gone, the back will prevent it from racking out of square.


And now that dinner is done, the baseball game is over and the air conditioners have removed all the humidity from the house, I can relax and watch bad television.

Maybe I'll watch America's Funniest Videos. Maybe I'll see what I have for DVRs.

While I figure out what I'm doing, you can visit these:

No comments: