Monday, December 18, 2023

Electricity is a good thing

I like electricity, I have no fear of electricity and I have a basic understanding of how electricity does what it does.

Having said that, sometimes electricity pisses me off...

We had two very short (less than a minute) power outages this morning and one of them must have started as a surge because I no longer have porch lights.

We no longer have porch lights because several years ago I installed smart switches that control my carriage lights and my porch lights. I did this because I got sick and tired of coming home to a dark house when we forgot to leave lights on.

This morning, the switch that controls the porch lights decided that not only was it no longer going to act as a smart home controller, it wasn't going to function as a normal light switch anymore either. Not only is it no longer available to the network, I can't operate it manually.

So today I ordered a new smart switch and tomorrow I will replace the bad switch with a normal not-smart switch so that I can turn the porch lights on & off manually. Then, as soon as the new smart switch arrives, I'll intall it and try to remember how to "add a new device" to my smart home network.

Hopefully things will go well and we will once again have lights that turn themselves on & off with no involvement from one of us humans.


I'm going to watch some bad television while reading a book.

You can feel free to visit these:

No comments: